Living as a Christian is not a simple decision. It’s a constant daily choice that transitions your heart into something more, something that fulfills God’s purpose for you and all of your heart’s desires. Our busy lives are a constant swarm of technology, media, and information that continually test our religious boundaries. At every turn, we are challenged with the latest test. So where do we get our daily motivation to continue to pursue a God-focused life and let Him live in our hearts? Here is a great starter list to begin a daily routine to keep God in your daily life and simultaneously grow closer with him.
- Give Him a Few Minutes Every Day. Whether or not it’s during your drive to work with a quick prayer behind the steering wheel, or sitting down in a quiet place and contemplating God’s goodness in your life, give Him time every day. Reflect on the positive things going on in your life, your gratefulness for good health, children, or simply enjoying your dog wagging his tail. Take a minute to appreciate the smaller and more important parts of life and not the stress that typically steals all of our attention.
- Read a Devotional. Regardless if this is for you or within a group, stay busy reading. Find a book that speaks to your heart and gives guidance to any area of your life. Are you struggling with forgiveness? (Forgiveness Is Not An Option: A Journey to Freedom and Healing) Do you crave peace and to let go of anxiety? (How to Have a Quiet Heart) Are you curious who God is? (For His Name’s Sake). Struggling with changing the way you think and thinking more positively? (Change the Way You Think: Winning the Everyday Battles of the Mind) Struggling with being single? (Single & Content: A Journey from Despair to Delight) Are you feeling alone or forgotten? (What If)
- Keep a Journal. Write down your feelings, emotional, and journey through whatever your heart is going through. Writing can be a great therapeutic release for emotions that we hold in. Answer questions from the devotional and meditate on your own journey through God’s word.
- Memorize Verses. The Bible is full of stories of real people who experienced similar heartache as you. Can’t handle something going on in your life? David or Mordecai. Sickness or difficulty? The numerous stories of those Jesus healed. One of my favorite pins on Pinterest is a list of scriptures that are directly related particular pains. Stressed? (Ephesians 4:27)Worried? (Philippians 4:6) Depressed? (Hosea 6:1)
- Keep an Accountability Partner. God doesn’t intend for us to experience pain by ourselves. Whether we need guidance and direction or simply a shoulder to cry on, find a close friend who you can trust during your journey. Share your struggle, helpful scripture, positive ideas that will help both of you. Keep each other accountable for reading scripture, devotionals, or simply spending time with God every day.
For more helpful tips for Christian Living, check out our pinterest boards for ideas, tips, and a little bit of humor!