Since its launch in 2007, Goodreads has grown to over 25 million users discussing, sharing, and reading over 750 million books. That’s a lot of people who could be buying your book. But where to start?
Free Marketing. Two magical words that every author loves to hear. In the world of shameless self-promotion, authors have a steep job ahead of them, so a little free marketing can go a long way. Social media websites, like Twitter and Facebook, make promoting more simple, but Goodreads specifically focuses on making an author’s life easier.
The Author Program
Goodreads created a program just for you, the author. Besides being a popular information hub for obsessive bibliophiles and casual readers alike, Goodreads treats authors like a VIPs, giving them special tools geared towards helping them sell their books. These tools and features are part of the Goodreads Author Program.
The Author Program allows you to
- Hold giveaways
- Blog and let your readers the latest news
- Start a featured author group for yourself so readers can discuss your books
- Upload videos
- Edit your books’ information and upload covers etc.
These special privileges, and a few others, help you communicate with your readers and create a following. The more people that know about your books, the better your books will sell.
How to join:
- Sign up or Sign in. If you don’t already have an account, you can sign up through Facebook , or you can sign up with just your email. If you already have an account, make sure you’re signed in.
- Search for your book. The author program is for authors who have already been published or are currently being published. Once you have found your book, click on the author name (yours), and you should be taken to the author page.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page. Click on the “is this you?” link and join as a Goodreads Author.
Over the next few weeks, we will discuss:
- How to better promote your books using the Goodreads Author Program
- How to use Goodreads with Twitter and Facebook
- Author and Reader Interaction: The Do’s and Don’t’s
In the mean time, look around on Goodreads, become friends with Ambassador International and enjoy your new VIP status–you’re a Goodreads Author.